[email protected]
+30 693 11 23 014

Skip to Content

Legal papers for American citizens for a civil wedding in Greece

Legal paper for American citizens in Greece for a civil wedding in Greece

  • Copies of bride and groom’s passports (no apostille is required or translation)
  • Bride’s and groom’s full birth certificates that means both parents names should be in the birth certificate  (shorter versions are not acceptable) Apostille and translation in Greek is required
    Birth Certificates originating from five boroughs within New York City (Bronx, Kings, Manhattan, Queens, Staten  Island) are acceptable for an Apostille stamp only if they are long form Birth Certificates and are accompanied by a Letter of  Exemplification.
  • Single status letter or a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage must be provided for both the bride and groom. This document confirms that you have never been married and are free to marry. It can be obtained  at your local Registry or Statistics Office, and must be issued within three months of the wedding date. Apostille and translation in Greek  is required
  • Marriage license for both of you (that is valid for a wedding outside of your state, indicating that you are getting married in Greece)  with apostille and translated in Greek
  • An affidavit indicating that you are free to marry, sworn by each party (naming the location, you have selected to get married in Greece). One is required  for each party. It can be obtained from your local public notary, and must be issued within three months of the wedding date. Apostille and Greek translation is required
  • Divorce Certificate(s) / Decree(s), for divorced parties. Certified copies of each divorce is required, an apostille and  translation in Greek is required.
  • Deed poll / name change / adoption papers are required for each party (if applicable) in certified copies.  Apostille and Greek translations are required.

Note: You can get the marriage license from the USA embassy in Athens, an appointment is required, if you stay one business day .

Legal papers for American citizens  are all of the above documents (with the exception of passport copies), and including their apostille stamps, must also be provided in Greek translation and certified  (stamped) by the Greek  Embassy / Consulate in your country.
Legal papers for American citizens: All documents must be sent six weeks electronically to us, prior to your wedding in Greece, to allow us to confirm that all paperwork is in order.

Please bring all the originals with you and they remain at the civil office

You must remain in Greece for at least one business day after your wedding, as you will need to sign your Marriage Certificate at the local town hall.

Back To TopBack To Top