[email protected]
+30 693 11 23 014

Skip to Content

Legal papers for a Greek Orthodox weddings in Greece

Legal Papers for and Greek Orthodox Weddings in Greece

From the Civil

  • Copies of bride and groom’s passports (no apostille is required or translation)
  • The bride’s and groom’s full birth certificates mean both parent’s names should be on the birth certificate  (shorter versions are not acceptable) apostille and translation in Greek are required
  • A marriage license or a letter of No Impediment to Marriage for both of you must be provided for both the bride and groom. This document confirms that you have never been married and are free to marry. It can be obtained at your local Registry or Statistics Office and must be issued within three months of the wedding date. Apostille and Greek translations are required.
  • Divorce Certificate(s) / Decree(s), for divorced parties. Certified copies of each divorce are required, and  apostille and  Greek translation is required
  • Deed poll/name change/adoption papers are required for each party (if applicable) in certified copies. Apostille and Greek translations are required.

From the Church

  • Baptismal certificates of both parties. These must be signed and stamped by the parish priest. If not given in Greek, they will need to be provided in Greek translation (valid only if translated and stamped by the Greek Embassy or Consulate, or by the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs). The Bishop / Metropolis of your local church must also validate the authenticity of the priest’s signature.
  • The Greek Orthodox Church must provide each party with a certificate giving consent to their freedom to marry (also known as a Letter of Eleftherogamias). This document should be given to you in Greek, signed and stamped by your parish priest, so no translation will be required. The Bishop / Metropolis of your local church must also validate the authenticity of your priest’s signature. Also in this letter must be mentioned that you are a member of the local church.
  • Certificate of Faith. This is a letter stating that you both agree to baptize any children of your union produced in the Orthodox Faith. This can be done in Greece.

Greek orthodox weddings in greece

Photo credit by Chris Gouberis

For Greek orthodox weddings in Greece all of the above documents (with the exception of passport copies), including their apostille stamps, must also be provided in Greek translation and certified by the Greek  Embassy/Consulate in your country.
All documents must be sent six weeks electronically to us, prior to your destination wedding in Greece, to allow us to confirm that all paperwork is in order.

Please bring all the originals with you and they remain at the church marriage office

You must remain in Greece for at least one business day after your wedding, as you will need to sign your Marriage Certificate at the local town hall in order to have valid Greek orthodox weddings in Greece.

Back To TopBack To Top