[email protected]
+30 693 11 23 014

Skip to Content

Catholic Weddings in Greece

Legal papers and Apostille stamp for a Catholic Wedding in Greece

From the civil

  • Copies of bride and groom’s passports (no apostille is required or translation)
  • Bride’s and groom’s full birth certificates that means both parents names should be in the birth certificate  (shorter versions are not acceptable) apostille and translation in Greek is required
  • Marriage license or a letter of No Impediment to Marriage must be provided for both the bride and groom. This document confirms that you have never been married and are free to marry. It can be obtained  at your local Registry or Statistics Office, and must be issued within three months of the wedding date. Apostille and Greek translations is required.
  • Divorce Certificate(s) / Decree(s), for divorced parties. Certified copies of each divorce is required, and  apostille and  Greek translation is required
  • Deed poll / name change / adoption papers are required for each party (if applicable) in certified copies. Apostille and Greek translations are required.

From the church

  • Baptism Certificates of both parties. Requires signature of priest who performed the baptism, and of a superior authority (such as a cardinal or bishop). These documents should be requested, signed and dated close to your wedding date.
  • Freedom to Marry Certificate of both parties. These certificates must be obtained  from the parish in which you were baptized, and must be dated within three months of the marriage. Requires the signature of priest who performed the baptism, and a superior authority (such as cardinal or bishop). The second signature should be dated close to your wedding date. Please take these certificates to your current present parish priest, who will make the prenuptial inquiries and give catechetical instruction.
  • Written permission must be obtained from your bishop to have your marriage performed in Greece and your chosen location, in accordance with Canon 1115 of the Codex Juris Canonici. Please discuss this with your Pastor.
  • Certificates of both parties  stating that you have completed the Pre-Cana  instruction class or meetings.
    Please note that Catholic church sends the papers to the priest in Greece
    Important notes:  For Catholic Weddings in Greece   all of the above documents (with the exception of passport copies), and including their apostille stamps, must also be provided in Greek translation and certified  by the Greek  Embassy / Consulate in your country.
  • Those are the papers for Catholic Weddings in Greece

Back To TopBack To Top